Skip to content
Mumbai · Saturday, 22 August 2026

National Revealed

The Truth can never be hidden

Headlines

Extended search operations urged for missing fishermen in sea off Andhra Pradesh

By Sohail Khan 22 August 2026, 6:23 pm

The East Coast Mechanised Fishing Boat Owners Association of India has expressed concern over recurring maritime accidents and the alleged lapses in rescue operations by the State government.

Association president Vasupalli Janakiram, speaking to reporters in Visakhapatnam on Saturday(August 22, 2026), said seven fishermen had been missing since their fishing boat ventured into the sea from Vadalarevu in Allavaram mandal of Konaseema district on August 3.

The incident came a month after seven fishermen went missing off Visakhapatnam. The search operation in that case was called off after three days, he said.

As the Vadalarevu vessel is a fibre boat, ocean currents and winds could have carried it far from the point where it was last reported, Mr. Janakiram said. He urged the Indian Coast Guard and the Indian Navy to continue an extended, wide-area search until the missing fishermen were traced.

He also flagged gaps in maritime safety and regulatory compliance. Though the Centre has mandated tracking devices on fishing vessels to monitor their movements and facilitate rescue operations during emergencies, many boats, including the Vadalarevu vessel, remain without the devices, he said.

Technical and electrical issues relating to the installation of transponders had been brought to the notice of fisheries officials over the past two years, but had not been resolved, he said.

Mr. Janakiram said scores of vessel licences were pending across the State, including around 40 in Vadalarevu, forcing fishermen to operate under difficult conditions. He demanded a thorough and transparent inquiry into allegations of corruption in the issuance of licences.

He said that although guidelines provided for comprehensive insurance coverage for the State’s estimated eight lakh fishermen and allied workers, only around two lakh had been covered so far. The government should launch a special drive to cover all eligible workers and extend insurance protection to fishing boats as well, he said.

The association has submitted a 12-point charter of demands, seeking continuation of the search operation, resolution of technical issues relating to transponders, clearance of pending licences, an inquiry into alleged corruption and a permanent marine safety policy to protect the lives and livelihoods of coastal communities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *