Skip to content
Mumbai · Tuesday, 18 August 2026

National Revealed

The Truth can never be hidden

Headlines

Miffed with no response from Soren’s government, students firm on August 20 gherao of CM’s residence

By Sohail Khan 18 August 2026, 7:57 am

Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday (August 17, 2026) announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination, following an emergency Cabinet meeting that lasted for four hours. He also announced that all examinations conducted by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL) agency, a blacklisted firm, will be cancelled. He added that a committee will be formed under senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to suggest examination reforms.

Earlier, a scheduled meeting between the protesting students and the Jharkhand government did not take place. The meeting was scheduled at 2 p.m. at the State Guest House in Ranchi. However, before the meeting could begin, Mr. Soren called an emergency meeting of Cabinet Ministers at the Secretariat. On Sunday (August 16), the government had extended the invitation to the students to hold talks.

Led by the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, the protesters have been demanding a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged irregularities in recruitment exams and the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination.

Miffed with not getting a response from the government side on the 24th day of the protest, the Manch had announced that it would gherao the residence of the Chief Minister on August 20.

“We have given the ultimatum till August 18 to fulfil our demands; otherwise lakhs of students will proceed to Hemant Soren’s residence on August 20 to make history in Ranchi. The siege of the Chief Minister’s residence will be historic. Fulfil our demands, and we will go home and study,” Manch leader Ravindra Paswan told over the phone.

The Manch also posted a message on its social media account on X, stating, “Today marks 24 days of the movement. What exactly is the government thinking? What is the problem for the government in accepting demands like cancelling the exams where irregularities occurred and conducting a CBI investigation? Once again, the JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch, reiterating its announcement, wants to tell the government that if our demands are not met by August 18, then on August 20, more than 1 lakh affected students will surround and sit at the residence of the Chief Minister and will not leave until their demands are accepted.”

On the other hand, the Jharkhand State Crime Investigation Department (CID), probing the case of alleged irregularities in the examination, conducted raids at the office of the JSSC. Sources said that the CID also questioned JSSC Secretary Sudhir Gupta. A separate team of the CID also conducted a raid at Mr. Gupta’s residence in Ranchi.

The CID on Monday (August 17) also arrested B.N. Ram, who had served as the Personal Secretary to former Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) member Ajita Bhattacharya. Former Chairman of JPSC L. Khiangte had already been sent to judicial custody following 48 hours of interrogation. He was arrested on August 10.

Counter-protest

Meanwhile, the candidates who had cleared the JSSC-CGL examination in 2025 and are now government employees formed a human chain outside the Cabinet Secretariat, where Mr. Soren was holding a meeting with his Cabinet colleagues over the demands of the students. The chain was made to draw the government’s attention to the uncertainty the cancellation of the exam would create.

The successful candidates said they were ready for any kind of investigation and maintained that if there were allegations against any individual candidate, those should be investigated. However, the decision to cancel the entire examination should not be taken.

Earlier in the day, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi urged Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren to personally meet protesting students. In a letter dated August 14, Mr. Gandhi said the students’ demands were legitimate, and their peaceful protest deserved the government’s support.

Meanwhile, a three-member delegation of the Jharkhand BJP visited the Lok Bhavan to meet the Governor Santosh Gangwar over the issue. The delegation included BJP State president Aditya Sahu, Leader of the Opposition Babulal Marandi, and organisational general secretary Karmveer Singh.

During the meeting, the BJP leaders highlighted that students from across the State have been protesting in Ranchi for the past 24 days demanding justice, with several students currently hospitalised in critical condition due to a hunger strike. Yet, the government continues to ignore their demands, the team had said.

The leaders alleged that the students are being misled under the guise of dialogue. They urged the Governor to intervene in the matter and take concrete steps to ensure the government immediately considers the students’ legitimate demands and finds a tangible solution. In response, the Governor assured them that he was keeping a close watch on the entire situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *